Tuesday, May 23, 2006

How's Louisiana Doing This Time of Year?




G. W. Nesom in Tickfaw


George Wilburn Nesom, a local merchant, was appointed postmaster of Tickfaw in 1898. In 1902, he married Cornelia Arbuthnot and in 1903, began construction on a new home for her and their growing family. Rosalyn Saltarrelli-Cimino purchased the home in 1996, from the Jenkins family, grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. Nesom. With the help of her husband, Donald, and her mother, Rose Loewenthal, acting as contractor, the house took over 18 months to restore, and on August 29, 1997, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. This rare and elegant Eastlake Queen Anne Revival is filled with antiques and offers the grand living or yesteryear. Join us on our beautiful verandah sipping afternoon tea while watching the trains go by as they have for more than 150 years just 10 minutes from Ponchatoula, America's Antique City, where you can shop for antiques forever! If wildlife is your thing, the Global Wildlife Center is only 15 minutes away. Some of the animals will eat right out of your hand! The beautiful campus of Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond is 5 minutes from our front door. While you are there, stop in and visit the many coffee houses and specialty shops in the historic downtown district. We’re only 40 minutes from Baton Rouge, 1 hour from downtown New Orleans and 45 minutes from N O International Airport. During the holiday seasons (Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Year’s) visit us especially for private candlelight dinners. This full six course meal is really becoming very popular. We offer a two nights stay with a private dinner for only $175.00...makes a wonderful “getaway” present.
Rosalyn’s Story:
“I have always been in love with old houses. Having grown up in New Orleans Garden District, there is nothing but old houses. When my grandparents purchased their home it was already 150 years old in 1942! So when the opportunity arose to purchase the Nesom House I jumped at it! My husband, Donald, is in the Navy Reserve and of course is away one weekend of every month. It just so happened that the house became available on one such weekend. You should have seen the look on his face when he walked in the door and I excitedly informed him he had bought a 100 year old house! I went on-and-on about how beautiful this house was going to be. The following weekend I took him and my son to see our beautiful old house. My son took one look at it and said, "Congratulations, Mom, you just bought the Norman Bates house". I saw it finished, but my husband saw the falling porches, peeling paint, torn wallpaper and the list goes on. He plainly let me know that he thought I had lost my mind!! To make a long story short, with the help of my mother, Rose, who has a fantastic ability to put things together, acting as contractor, we were once again standing in the original spot where we stood on the first day. Donald decided I wasn't as crazy as he thought…the house was beautiful! But 18 rooms and 6,000 square feet were just a little too big for three people. How about a Bed and Breakfast? Well needless to say, I got "the look" again. This time I deserved it. Not only did I know nothing about a B&B, but I had never even stayed in one!! After a mountain of research, at least a million mistakes and "lots and lots" of work, we are open for business. We have been visited by more nice people than we can count.”


Try one of their delicious recipes: Nesom House Blueberry-Pecan Pancakes, Garlic Sauted Green Beans, Simple Catfish Nesom, Stuffed Mushrooms.

This BnB is featured in Sunrise Sunset Across America, Bed & Breakfast cookbook. Purchase it by clicking on the link in the upper sidebar. We'll talk tomorrow...

No comments: