Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Did I Tell You My Story??

I love baking, trying new recipes and scouring cookbooks for something new to try. Awhile back I started an online magazine for women and decided to have a recipe section. In my search for recipes to use I kept coming across a recipe site: bbonline.com. As I continued I started spending more time reading about the B&B inns while I was reviewing their recipes. The idea came to me to put together a cookbook about B&B inns and their recipes. I began contacting inns from all over the US to see who would like to be included in the cookbook…I wanted at least 2 from each state. It wasn’t long before recipes, stories and photos began being emailed to me. Some even sent me their own cookbooks!
I learned how to put it together electronically and save it to a disk and send it off to a publisher. The photo on the front came from the Grace Hill Inn in Tennessee from the top veranda and is absolutely beautiful. The stories that came in were fascinating…some told the history of the inn and some told their own personal story of how they became an innkeeper. And the recipes are what they serve their guests...who keep coming back for more!
I had a wonderful time working on it and still have contact with the inns. Once it was published I went around town to see how to set up book signings. I did quite a few of those and was also on local TV preparing a recipe from the cookbook to help promote it and the upcoming book signing. I learned how to do a press release and sent it out to every newspaper within the vicinity of the inns included in the cookbook, some cities had two newspapers (that was quite an undertaking). The latest promotion I’ve done is to set up this blog and discuss the inns and recipes and include photos. The cookbook has been reviewed and that is included in this blog. All in all, it has been quite an exciting endeavor.

Includes the recipes I've used in my catering service: yummy "Melt in your mouth" brownies, moist lemon cake, rich chocolate cake, mini cheesecakes, plus many more. This cookbook makes a great one for your own collection or a great gift even if they don't cook...it's a great travel guide to inns!

No comments: