Saturday, July 07, 2012

“8 Germans, 1 Bed” in Piney Creek Inn BnB in Story, WY


Piney Creek Inn BnB in Story

“8 Germans, 1 Bed”
In the early, and somewhat naive, days of Piney Creek Inn’s existence, 2 couples and their 4 teenagers from Germany walked onto the deck late one summer afternoon. They were traveling and seeing Wyoming, but had not made any firm vacation plans; they were just “taking it as it comes”. One of the fathers spoke broken, halting English; the others knew some English words, but not enough to converse. He asked about lodging; I told him I only had one room with a queen bed and would not be able to host them. Between what words he could understand, sign language and hand movements, I told them I would try to help them find another place to stay.
I proceeded to call other lodging establishments to inquire about vacancies. I was able to find lodging further down the road and informed him of the place and how to get there. They had a very animated discussion, in German, so I wasn’t able to understand what they were talking about. He said they wanted to stay with us; again I told him that was not possible. They talked some more and he again said they wanted to stay here. Not knowing exactly what to say, I jokingly said the only way that would be possible if is we pitched a tent or they slept on the floor. He said that would be fine. Needless to say, I was speechless at this turn of events, but since I’d made the “offer” and they accepted, I followed through as best I could. One couple slept in the room I had available, the kids slept in our tent, and I made up an airbed on the floor of my sewing room for the other couple. They seemed perfectly happy and enjoyed a hearty breakfast the next morning. I called ahead to their next evening stop and arranged accommodations for them so they wouldn’t run into the same situation as they had with me. As they were preparing to leave, the mother of the couple who had slept on the floor, was sitting on one of the kitchen chairs putting on her sneakers. I managed to ask her how they had decided who got the bed and ended up on the floor. She smiled, and after thinking a few moments, she said “heads or tails”!

Recipes included in the cookbook and used by permission of Vicky Hoff from Piney Creek Inn BnB:
Piney Creek Sausage Bake
Caramel French Toast
Sausage Cheese Puffs
Breakfast Take Alongs

This BnB (along with delicious recipes and wonderful stories) is featured in Sunrise Sunset Across America, Bed and Breakfast cookbook. Purchase it by clicking on the link in the upper sidebar. Click on the review to read more about it.

No comments: